It’s down home Southern cooking that will make you smile. That’s what’s cooking tonight as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Phillip Bryant
The Restaurant: The Local Craft Food & Drink in Coral Gables
The Dish: Shrimp & Grits
6 cups water
1 cup Charleston rice grits (or your favorite)
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 fresh bay leaves
2 tablespoons whole butter
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil, as needed
3 whole Cippolini onions, peeled and split in half (or other sweet onion)
3 ounces Rock Shrimp
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
½ teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 red pepper, roasted and peeled, rough chopped
2 slices Country Ham (Prosciutto or Serrano will work as well)
2 tablespoons black coffee
¼ cup dark chicken stock
1 tablespoon butter
Method of Preparation:
– Combine water, garlic and bay leaves in a pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice grits and bring back to a boil, stirring. Chef Phillip likes rice grits but you can use your favorite kind. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender- about 20 minutes. Strain and put in a pan. Mix in the butter and season with salt and pepper to your preference. Set aside.
– Season shrimp with mustard powder paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Toss the shrimp lightly to cover and set aside.
– Sauté Cipollini onions in hot olive oil- if you don’t have those, shallots or other sweet onions work well too. Sauté until caramelized. Add country ham, red bell peppers and the seasoned shrimp. Sauté and stir well.
– Next– add unsweetened black coffee and dark chicken stock. Let it reduce down until the sauce gets slightly thick. Add a bit more butter to finish it off.
– Chef Phillip plates with the grits and the shrimp, ham and onions. He adds a drizzle of olive oil– more sauce– and garnishes with sliced radish- parsley and scallions.
Serving suggestion: Kentucky Bourbon Ale
The Local Craft Food & Drink
150 Giralda Avenue
Coral Gables, FL 33134
Bring in a printed copy of the recipe and get a complimentary craft beer with your meal now through the end of Febuary.