BARCELONA, Spain (WSVN) — More than 22,000 concertgoers were evacuated from a music festival in Barcelona, Spain after, organizers said, a massive fire broke out on stage, Saturday.
Videos posted on social media captures the growing flames that erupted near speakers at UNITE with Tomorrowland.
Eyewitnesses said a large screen exploded, and within minutes the fire ripped across the stage.
Thousands of terrified attendees then fled from the venue, while others stood and shot video of the blaze on their smartphones.
Authorities worked quickly as they evacuated the concertgoers.
Internationally renowned DJ Steve Aoki was about to take the stage moments before the fire broke out.
Local media outlets reported the blaze has been blamed on stage fireworks.
No injuries were reported.
An investigation has been launched.
A statement on UNITE with Tomorrowland’s Facebook page reads, “Tonight, July 29, 2017, the UNITE Barcelona stage caught fire due to a technical malfunction. Thanks to the professional intervention of the authorities all 22,000 visitors were evacuated safely and without reports of injuries.”
The fire sparked as a performance was being broadcast on a screen, just before Aoki was set to come on stage. The show was supposed to run until Sunday at 3 a.m. local time.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.