There’s nothing like stick-to-your ribs hearty soup made with fresh vegetables. That’s what’s cooking tonight as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Aaron Johnson
The Restaurant: Old Fort Lauderdale Breakfast House
The Dish: O-B Corn Chowder
2 cups Spanish onion, medium diced
1 cup celery, medium diced
2 cups steamed Yukon gold potatoes, medium cubed
6 cups of fresh corn
4 scallions, white and green part, chopped fine
1 large red bell pepper, small diced
2 ¼ teaspoons of kosher salt
1/3 cup of sherry cooking wine
4 cups of homemade chicken stock (or canned)
2 cups of heavy cream
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of softened butter
1 tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation:
– Start by chopping all of your vegetables and set them aside. Pre-cook diced potatoes and set aside.
– In a large sauce pot, melt salted butter over medium low heat and add the onions and celery. Sweat until tender but not browned. Add kosher salt and sherry and reduce by half, then add the chicken stock and heavy cream. Stir and bring to a simmer.
– Mash butter and flour together with the tines of a fork and stir into the soup base. Simmer for five to eight more minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
– Add the pre-cooked diced potatoes, fresh corn, scallions, red bell pepper, green onion and black pepper. Stir and simmer a few more minutes and it’s ready to plate.
– Garnish the Chowder with freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, chopped bacon and chopped chives. Serve it up with a homemade biscuit.
Serving suggestion: Florida Native Lager Beer.
Old Fort Lauderdale Breakfast House
333 Himmarshee St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
Bring in a printed copy of the recipe and get a complimentary home-made chocolate chip cookie with each full entree. Order now through June 20.