The Chef: Alexander Ringleb
The Restaurant: Europa Delicatessen Deli & Gourmet Market on South Beach
The Dish: Hungarian Goulash
2 lb. chuck roast cut in cubes
3 tbs. sunflower oil
1 stem of celery, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 half tomato, chopped
1 tbs. paprika powder
3 carrots diced
2 parsnips diced
4 medium yellow potatoes cut in cubes
1 Tsp. paprika paste
1 Tsp goulash crème
1 tbs. Vegeta seasoning (or vegetable bouillon)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbs. chopped parsley
1/ cup handmade Hungarian mini pasta made with egg, salt and flour
* You can get Hungarian ingredients at Europa or order online
Method of Preparation:
-Start with sunflower oil in a hot pot. Add chopped onions and stir well. Add paprika and stir again. Next, add cubed pot roast and continue stirring on low heat.
– Now make the dough, add salt, all-purpose flour and an egg together and knead with your hands for 7-8 minutes. Pinch off little pieces of the dough, roll them with your fingers and set aside to add in later.
– Back to the soup. Add room temperature water, vegetable bouillon, paprika paste, and crushed red bell pepper. Stir again then add the vegetables.
– Add water, parsnips and carrots, the pasta and finally potatoes. Let it simmer for about two and a half hours.
– When it's done, Chef Alexander plates it simply with a garnish of chopped parsley.
Serving suggestion: Cabernet Sauvignon
Europa Delicatessen Deli & Gourmet Market
425 Washington Ave
Miami Beach, Florida