WSVN — It’s fresh, it’s vegetarian and it’s totally Italian! Stay tuned for a classic dish from the old country – as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Peter Masiello
The Restaurant: Corsair inside Turnberry Isle Miami Resort
The Dish: Gnocchi Pomodoro
3 pounds baked Idaho Potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1 Tsp. salt
2 cups plum tomatoes, ripe
6 cloves crushed garlic (to taste)
2 cups olive oil
1 Tbs. Red Chili flakes
3 each basil, bunch
1/8 cup pasta water
2 Tbs. Butter
Parmesan Cheese to taste
Method of Preparation:
– Bake Potatoes at 350 until cooked. Cut potatoes in half and push through a food mill. (No skin!) Season with salt and allow them to release their steam for 2 minutes.
– Mix egg yolk and season with salt. Sift flour over potatoes and mix gently with your hands, lifting and letting potatoes fall through your fingers. Drizzle egg mixture over potatoes. Mix dough and knead briefly till the dough is homogenous.
– Roll into a log and cut into manageable pieces. Cover with a towel
one piece at a time roll until approx ½" in diameter. Cut into individual pieces, then shape, using fork or other pasta tool. Lay on Floured tray and reserve. Use Fresh that day or freeze for later use
– For the Pomodoro Sauce. Blanch tomatoes and shock in ice water. Remove skin and discard. Deseed the tomatoes and strain the liquid from the seeds. Discard the seeds.
– In a heavy pan, add the fresh tomatoes. Add a handful of salt and cook over low heat. Using a potato masher, break up the tomatoes and continue cooking. Repeat.
– Continue cooking and reduce by ¼, about 2 hours. As tomatoes are cooking, add garlic, chili flakes and oil to a small pot. Cook the garlic oven medium heat until lightly browned. Remove from heat and add basil bunches. Allow the basil to steep for 15 minutes.
Strain the oil into the tomato sauce base. Immediately cool and reserve.
– Drop Gnocchi in boiling salted water. They cook quickly, about 2-3 minutes. When they float they’re done. In a separate sauté pan, add some tomato sauce and reduce slightly. Season with chili flakes and salt. When they are 90% cooked, transfer Gnocchi to pan with tomato sauce. Add a splash of pasta water, butter, salt and pepper to taste, and parmesan. Finish cooking the Gnocchi in the sauce- just a minute or so.
Plate with olive oil Parmesan Cheese.
Serving Suggestion: Taurasi
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Turnberry Isle Miami Resort
19999 W Country Club Dr.
Aventura, FL 33180