The Chef: Belkys Nerey
The Dish: Fried Green Tomatoes
4 large green tomatoes
1 cup white cormeal
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup mayo
1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
Method of Preparation:
- Wash, dry and slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch thick. Dry the tomatoes thoroughly on a paper towel.
- Combine in a shallow dish, the buttermilk and egg.
- In a second shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, panko bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Dip the sliced tomatoes into the buttermilk mixture, then into the panko mixture, then place the tomatoes on a paper towel-lined baking tray.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, then slowly place the breaded tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, then remove the tomatoes and place them on a wire rack or paper towel-lined tray to drain.
- Plate the tomatoes on a dish and top with already mixed mayo and sriracha sauce, then garnish with parsley.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.