Camila Cabello has left Fifth Harmony to pursue a solo career but said the girl group shouldn’t be surprised by her departure.
Cabello wrote in a statement posted on several on social media sites that she has repeatedly talked with the other group members about her plans to focus on a solo career.
Her post came hours after other Fifth Harmony group members released a statement on Twitter early Monday saying they were just informed of her plans. They said the group will continue as a quartet.
“We are four strong, committed women who will continue with Fifth Harmony as well as our solo endeavors,” the group wrote in a statement.
Both sides wished the other well.
Cabello’s statement reflected on private moments the group shared, and thanked fans for their support.
“New chapters are scary, but conforming to what’s safe and looking back with regret would be even scarier,” she wrote.
Fifth Harmony was formed on the second season of the “The X Factor” in 2012 and scored its biggest hit last year with “Worth It.”
Cabello has been branching out on her own with collaborations with Shawn Mendes on “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and a duet with Machine Gun Kelly, “Bad Things,” that reached No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.