(WSVN) - Who says you have to leave dessert for last? We have a recipe that can be enjoyed any time of day. An indulgent delight is on the menu as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Belkys Nerey
The Dish: Chocolate Coconut Bites
2½ cups flaked coconut, unsweetened
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
½ teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of sea salt
4 ounces dark chocolate for topping
Method of Preparation:
– Pulse the coconut in a food processor until sticky crumbs form. Set aside about ¼ cup of the mixture.
– Mix the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and sea salt. Stir in the coconut from step one. Form the mixture into small balls by squeezing until a ball forms. The mixture will be crumbly, so it doesn’t work to put the mixture in your hands and roll it. You have to squeeze it. There will be a little bit of excess oil; that’s OK.
– Once you have the balls rolled, refrigerate for one hour or so until they are firm. At this point, if you want, you should be able to take them out and re-roll them to get the shape just right since they’ll be firm and malleable.
– Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and shake or stir constantly for a few minutes until the coconut is lightly browned and fragrant.
– Melt the chocolate for a minute or so in the microwave. Stir it until it’s smooth. Dip each coconut ball in the chocolate and remove with a fork, letting excess chocolate drip off. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and top with the toasted coconut from step three. Freeze or refrigerate to set the chocolate. Store in the fridge to keep them fresh!
– Serve as is with your favorite beverage.
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.