The Chef: Anderson Osorio
The Restaurant: Red Ginger on South Beach
The Dish: Chicken Meatballs with Tare Sauce
6 oz. ground chicken
1 oz. scallions
1 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
white pepper to taste
Tare Sauce (Soy Basting Sauce)
1/4 cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
1 tbs. rice vinegar
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
Method of Preparation:
– Add chopped scallions to a bowl with ground chicken. Add garlic paste, ginger paste, panko bread crumbs and salt. Mix together.
– Roll the mixture into bite-sized meatballs and put them in boiling water for twenty minutes.
– While that’s cooking- make the Tare sauce. Add soy sauce to a hot pan
with rice vinegar and mirin rice wine. Let it reduce for about ten minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn. When it starts to thicken, pour the sauce into a bowl and let it cool.
– When the meatballs are done…take them out of the pot and skewer them- then put them on the grill.
– When they start to brown- brush on some Tare sauce. Grill for another minute or so.
Put a little Tare Sauce on the plate with
the chicken meatballs on top. Chef Anderson tops them with micro chives and Japanese pepper. He serves the meatballs with a side of steamed Bao Buns- a Peruvian-Chinese fusion dish.
Serving suggestion: Blended Japanese Whiskey
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
736 First Street
Miami Beach, FL 33139