(WSVN) - A South Florida chef shares a recipe that may have you wanting to eat dessert first. Pie is on the menu as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Sheila G. Mains, Cookbook Author: “Butter & Chocolate: 101 Creative Sweets and Treats Using Brownie Batter”
The Dish: Pumpkin Pie with Brownie Brittle Crust
1 1/2 cups Brownie Brittle (1 5 oz. bag = 1 cup crushed) or chocolate wafers crushed in a food processor
6 tbs. salted butter, melted
1 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Method of Preparation:
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
– Prepare the crust. Mix the crushed Brownie Brittle with the melted butter. Press the crumb mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom and sides of a nine-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
– Prepare the pumpkin filling. Combine the pumpkin, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Stir and cook over low heat for five minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Set aside and allow to cool.
– Beat the eggs thoroughly in a bowl and then mix in the sweetened condensed milk. Add the cooled pumpkin and spice mixture to the egg mixture and blend thoroughly.
– Pour the pumpkin filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes.
– Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 35 minutes, or until the center of the pie appears to be set.
– Allow the pie to cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Plate: Slice and serve with whipped cream, ice cream or by itself!
Serves: 8 to 10 servings
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.