(WSVN) - It’s a sweet treat from a hot new restaurant in Coconut Grove. South Florida mangoes are in season, and on the menu, as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Dallas Wynne
The Restaurant: Ariete in Coconut Grove
The Dish: Mango Pie
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup frozen vegetable shortening
1/2 cup small diced frozen butter
2-4 oz. ice cold water
12 cups thick sliced mangoes
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
4 Tbs. lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
8 oz. cold unsalted butter
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Method of Preparation:
– For the crust, combine flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse butter and shortening until pea-sized crumbs form. Slowly add water until dough just combines. Divide the dough into two separate disks and roll out each disk into 12-inch circles. Spray pie tins with nonstick spray. Lay in pie crusts and trim the edges.
– For the filling, toss together all ingredients and put in a heavy bottom pot. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer. Pour the mix into a metal bowl and allow to cool down before filling your pie shells. Once the mix is cool, fill your pie shells up until 1/2 inch from the top of the crust.
– For the streusel, combine all of the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until pea-sized crumbs form and generously cover the top of each pie.
– Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
– You can serve your pie from the pie tin, but Chef Dallas suggests that you unmold the pie to serve. To unmold, chill the pie in the refrigerator. When it’s chilled, take a pairing knife and run along inside the edge of the pan to loosen. Peel off anything that might prohibit the pie from coming out cleanly. Next, take a plate, bottom side down. Put your thumbs on top of the plate and gently flip the pie over and pick up the pan. Then, take another plate, put it on the bottom and flip again. Your pie will be easier to serve this way, and it really shows off your beautiful golden brown crust!
– Cut a piece and serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Delicious!!
Serving Suggestion: Moscato wine
3540 Main Highway
Miami, FL 33133
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.