(WSVN) - A South Florida chef shows you how to add a sweet and spicy flavor to a pretty popular dish. It’s time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Magdiel “Ray” Ramos
The Restaurant: NARA, North Miami Beach
The Dish: Chicken Katsu
3 lbs Chicken Breast
1 qt Panko
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
4 Large Eggs
2 Tbsp Powdered Ginger
1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
Orange Teriyaki Sauce:
2 qt Orange Juice
1 qt Light Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Cilantro
¼ Cup Chopped Ginger
2 Tbs Chopped Garlic
2 Cups Sugar
2 Tbsp Cornstarch Slurry
Agave Sriracha Salad:
¼ Cup Sriracha
½ qt Heavy Duty Mayonnaise
1 Fresno Chili
¼ Cup Agave
¼ Chopped Cilantro
1 qt Julienne Purple Cabbage
1 qt Julienne Nappa Cabbage
2 Cup Green Cabbage
¼ Shredded Carrot
Method of Preparation:
For Orange Teriyaki Sauce:
- Boil all ingredients for 5 minutes and reduce for 15 on low simmer.
- Slowly add cornstarch slurry on high heat and mix well until slow bubbles roll.
For Katsu Chicken:
- Filet chicken breast into two pieces.
- Using plastic wrap, cover all chicken breasts.
- Use a kitchen mallet and lightly pound the chicken until tenderized.
- Place flour in a mixing bowl with salt, pepper, powdered ginger. Mix well.
- Place Panko in a separate bowl.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until mixed well.
- Add chicken using a three-step breading process.
- Place chicken flour, egg, then panko crumbs.
- Fry chicken for 30 seconds until golden brown, finish in the oven at 350 degrees for 8 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
For Agave Sriracha Salad:
- Mix all ingredients well besides cabbage salad.
- Add Sriracha Agave sauce until salad is lightly coated with dressing.
- Slice chicken into strips, then drizzle orange teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Serve with Agave Sriracha Salad.
3881 NE 163rd St.
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
Copyright 2023 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.