If you think, “yum” when you hear dim sum, have we got a dish and a deal for you! That’s what’s cooking tonight – as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chefs: Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth
The Restaurant: The Sarsaparilla Club… inside the Shelborne on South Beach.
The Dish: Beet & Goat Cheese Dumplings
20 Chinese wonton wrappers
2 large beets, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
1/2 tsp. thyme, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. rosemary, chopped fine
4 oz. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch black pepper
4 oz. goat cheese (2 oz. for filling, 2 oz. for garnish)
1/5 oz. marscapone
2 tbs. parmesan cheese
4 oz. hazelnuts, whole, roasted and crushed slightly
sea salt to taste
2 Tbs. chives, minced
Method of Preparation:
– Boil water in a pot with a steam basket. Steam beets for 25 minutes until they are al dente. Pulse in a food processor until they are small like the size of small capers. In a pan heat butter, thyme and rosemary over medium low heat. Once fragrant, add the beets and season with salt and pepper, cooking for 5 minutes.
– Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cold. Add the goat cheese, mascarpone and parmesan into the food processor and blend until smooth. Fold beets into the cheese mixture and check for seasoning.
– Lay out the wonton wrappers onto a board with a small bowl of water and a pastry brush near by. Place a teaspoon of beet mixture into the center of the wrapper. Lightly moisten the edge of the wrapper with water. Pick up the dumpling and fold one side of the wrapper into itself to form an end fold. Continue to fold one side of the wrapper onto the straight edge and pinch both sides together. Repeat this same step all the way along the other straight side of the dumpling, creating one straight side and one side with multiple folds. Finish the end edge by folding in the last piece and pinching to close. Repeat to finish all dumplings.
– Steam for 5- 6 minutes over high steam in a lightly greased bamboo steamer.
– In a large sauté pan over medium high heat place the 4 oz of butter and cook until the milk solids turn brown. Set aside.
– Place dumplings on a platter, drizzle over brown butter, zest lemon on a microplane or zester over the top, sprinkle with crumbled goats cheese, hazelnuts, sea salt and chives.
Serving Suggestion: Champagne
The Sarsaparilla Club
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
Copyright 2023 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.