Patient severely burned after passing gas in Tokyo hospital

TOKYO (WSVN) – A patient at a hospital in Japan allegedly sparked a fire after passing gas, which left her with serious burns.

According to The Straits Times, the fire took place at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15. The patient was reportedly in her 30s and underwent an operation involving the application of a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus.

The laser is believed, according to the article, to have been ignited by the gas she had passed. The fire reportedly burnt most of the patient’s body.

The hospital report stated the operation equipment was functioning normally at the time. “When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread,” said the report. “Eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”

Copyright 2016 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus