4 hospitalized after using charcoal grill to heat home

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Authorities say four people were hospitalized after they used a charcoal grill to heat their home during a storm-caused power outage.

New Castle County Paramedic First Class Yvonne T. Russell says paramedics found four patients who had been exposed to carbon monoxide from a charcoal grill within the Wilmington-area residence Wednesday evening.

A 13-year-old boy and three adult women — aged 18, 30 and 67 — were treated at the scene for inhaling the odorless gas. They were later taken to a hospital and were in stable condition.

Many homes throughout the area had been without power since a storm Tuesday.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has warned that burning charcoal inside can be deadly.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.