LAUDERHILL, FLA. (WSVN) - Three Broward Sheriff’s Office K-9 dogs were treated for possible overdoses after catching a whiff of the powerful street drug, fentanyl.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the dogs were involved in a search for drugs in a Lauderhill home, on Oct. 27. But shortly after, the normally “high-energy” dogs became lethargic and unresponsive.
The three dogs, named, Primus, Packer and Finn, had been searching the Lauderhill home for drugs and money when they came across a bag of drugs that made them ill. Authorities said the drugs tested positive for fentanyl, a synthetic opiate that can be 50 times more potent than heroin.
The dogs were rushed to Coral Springs Animal Hospital. Primus, a German shorthaired pointer, had to be given a dose of Nalaxone, an antidote used in overdoses. Packer and Finn were given IV fluids. All three dogs recovered and were back on duty the next day, according to BSO.
Copyright 2016 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.