Orlando releases more 911 calls from gay nightclub shooting

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The city of Orlando has released more 911 calls from the mass shooting at a gay Florida nightclub after the FBI said the records are no longer a part of its investigation.

The release of more than a dozen 911 calls Wednesday comes three months after the massacre that left 49 people dead.

The release also comes as a legal fight between two dozen media groups and the city is heading toward a conclusion.

The Associated Press and other media organizations sued for the records to be released, saying they could help the public evaluate police response.

The city countered that the recordings were exempt under Florida’s public records law, and that the FBI insisted their release could disrupt the investigation.

The FBI said last week withholding the records was no longer necessary.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus