FBI still investigating Orlando shooter’s wife, father

ORLANDO, FLA. (WSVN) - FBI officials said, Wednesday, they were still investigating the father and wife of Omar Mateen, the shooter who killed 49 at Pulse night club in Orlando Sunday.

The officials did not say what the charges could be, or when they would possibly be made. They also said they are working to get things back to normal for the business located near Pulse.

A producer from News 13 Orlando, who Mateen called during the shooting, also spoke today about his conversation that night with Mateen.

“I answered the phone as I always do, ‘News 13, this is Matt,'” said Matthew Gentili, “and on the other end I heard, ‘Do you know about the shooting?'”

“I said, ‘Yes, I’m getting information, receiving some calls right now, and he cut me off and said, ‘I’m the shooter,’ and I didn’t know what to say. It was alarming to say the least. He sounded really calm on the phone, and he started saying that he did it for the Islamic State, that he did it for ISIS.”

Footage of Mateen in a documentary about the BP oil spill also came out today, showing Mateen as a security guard in the Florida panhandle. Mateen reportedly spoke cynically in the video about people who make money off of tragedies.

At a press conference Wednesday, Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs said all autopsies of the Orlando shooting victims had been completed.

“The autopsies will not be released to the press because they are still subject to the ongoing investigation,” Jacobs said.

Officials also disclosed that they now know Mateen drove to several locations in Orlando before going to the Pulse nightclub and opening fire.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer also announced the opening of a new family assistance center at the Camping World Stadium for victims and their families. Dyer said the center will provide child and family services, grief counseling, crime victim services, lodging, funeral services, language translation and transportation.

“A number of airlines have stepped up to say that ‘We will provide transportation for loved ones that need to travel here or back home,”‘ said Dyer.

Jacobs said this was an opportunity for the community to learn how to care more for each other.

“I think we owe it to every one of those those victims to reevaluate as a society, and certainly as a Central Florida Society, how we treat those who think and feel differently than we do,” said Jacobs.

Senator Bill Nelson announced, Wednesday, a bill that would require anyone who is or has been investigated for possible ties to terrorism to be entered into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which is used for background checks by gun store owners. The bill would also require gun store owners to notify the FBI if such an individual was trying to buy a gun.

Meanwhile, the OneOrlando fund to support victim’s and their families has received an influx of donations.

“JPMorgan Chase just called to say they will be contributing $500,000 to the OneOrlando fund,” said Jacobs.

Disney has also donated $1 million to the fund.

Copyright 2017 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.