Miami school evacuated due to gas leak

MIAMI (WSVN) - A Miami school had to be evacuated due to a gas leak.

City of Miami Fire Rescue responded, Monday afternoon, to a gas leak at Southwest First Street and Eighth Avenue.

Staff at the Lincoln Marti School noticed the strong smell of gas, and officials ordered the evacuation of more than 100 students.

The children were taken to another school and are reported to be OK.

Nearby businesses and roads were also shut down as crews worked on the scene.

Officials said they are now monitoring the air quality around the school until the leak can be controlled.

They believe construction equipment, at a nearby construction site, cut the gas line.

Copyright 2017 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.