ORLANDO, Fla. (WSVN) — One Blood is asking residents of Central Florida to help the victims of a mass shooting in Orlando by donating blood at one of their centers.
There is an urgent need for O Negative, O Positive and AB Plasma blood donors, according to a news release.
A gunman wielding an assault-type rifle and a handgun opened fire inside a crowded LGBTQ nightclub early Sunday, killing at least 50 people before dying in a gunfight with SWAT officers, police said. It was the worst mass shooting in American history.
The Florida Police Chiefs Association today released the following statement:
“Our hearts, our thoughts and our prayers are with the families, victims and the amazing first responders involved in the shooting at Pulse Nightclub early this morning. This senseless act of violence, now being called domestic terrorism, has already claimed dozens of lives in the City Beautiful, and we are grieving deeply. We commend the swift actions of Orlando Chief of Police John Mina and the countless first responders who were on scene and immediately risking their own safety to save the lives of others and bring down the gunman.
Donors should be healthy, at least 16 or older and weigh at least 100 pounds.
“It’s hard to believe…You have to do something to help. You can’t stay home,” Frank Tiffany, 69, of Winter Garden told The Orlando Sentinel.
Below is a list of blood donor centers in Orlando:
- Orlando West Michigan Donor Center: 345 W Michigan Street, Ste. 106, Orlando, FL 32806
- Orlando Main Donor Center: 8669 Commodity Circle, Orlando, FL 32819
- Oviedo Donor Center: 1954 W. State Road 426, Oviedo, FL 32765
- Asbury United Methodist Church Bloodmobile 22: West Horatio Avenue, Maitland, FL 32751
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church Bloodmobile” 4851 S. Apopka Vineland Road, Orlando, FL 32819
- Metro Church Bloodmobile: 1491 East State Road 434, Winter Springs, FL 32708
To find a donation center near you, click here or call 1.888.9Donate.
Copyright 2017 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.