4 hurt after propane tank explodes at SW Miami-Dade barbecue

SOUTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) - Two people were taken to the hospital and two others sustained injuries after, officials said, a propane tank blew up during a barbecue in Southwest Miami-Dade, Sunday.

Firefighters responded to the scene of the accident at an apartment building near Southwest 82nd Street and 72nd Court.

Officials said the propane tank malfunctioned and exploded in an outdoor pool area.

Officials took the opportunity to stress the importance of taking safety precautions this holiday weekend. “Just be very careful with any type of LP barbecue grills,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief David Reardon. “Make sure they’re very well aerated when you turn them on. Don’t turn it on and then try to start it multiple times. If it doesn’t start the first couple of times, shut it off, let the fumes evaporate and then try again.”

The victims who were transported were taken to Kendall Regional Medical Center.

Copyright 2017 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.