The Chef: Todd Erickson
The Restaurant: HuaHua's Taqueria
The Dish: Chicken al Pastor Tacos
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
For HuaHua spice:
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 2 tbs. ground cumin
- 2 tbs. ground coriander
- 2 tbs. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 3 tbs. paprika
- 3 each chipotles in adobo paste
- 1 tbs. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 each beer (Corona or your favorite Mexican beer)
- 16 each fresh pineapple slices
- 6 each radish, thin sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1//2 cup white onion, small, diced
For sour cream sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 16 white corn masa tortillas 6 inches
Method of Preparation:
- Start by mixing the first eleven HuaHua spice ingredients in a blender. Blend for about 30 seconds then pour the sauce over 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs- toss to coat and marinate for at least two hours- but you can also do this a day in advance.
- Grill the chicken for about 15 minutes, then to make sure it's cooked evenly, finish in the oven for an extra 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Also toss your pineapple slices on the grill for about a minute then set aside.
- For sour cream topper- whisk sour cream with lime, water and salt. Put in a squeeze bottle for easy serving.
- Next, warm the tortillas on the grill- for about 15 seconds on each side. When the chicken is done, but into strips and build your taco.
- Place tortilla on plate, then put chicken in first, add the pineapple, onion, radish and cilantro. Top with extra al Pastor sauce and a drizzle of sour cream mixed with fresh lime juice.
Serving suggestion: Negra Modelo beer
1211 Lincoln Road
Miami Beach, Florida 33139