The Chef: Danny Grant
The Restaurant: 1826 Restaurant & Lounge, South Beach
The Dish: Halibut with Garden Cassoulet
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. chopped shallots
1 Tsp. grated garlic
2 Tbs. honey vinegar
2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
pepper to taste
1/2 cup Grape Seed oil
1 cup white beans
1/2 cup roasted tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
3 Tbs. bean juice with dill (to taste)
2 Tbs. charred rapini stems
1/4 cup Dijon vinaigrette
sea salt and pepper to taste
4.5 portion each of halibut
1 pat arugula butter (or regular if you prefer) for each fillet
1 cup Panko bread crumbs ground fine
1 Tsp. garlic (microplaned)
1/2 cup arugula (chiffonade)
1 each lemon zest (microplaned)
2 cups butter (soft)
2 Tsp. salt
3 each lemon squeezers
*Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Roll out between 2 sheets of acetate to 3mm thick. Freeze.
Method of Preparation:
– First, make the vinaigrette. In a bowl, add Dijon mustard, chopped shallots, grated garlic, honey vinegar, sherry vinegar and stir well. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add black pepper and grape seed oil. Blend well and set aside.
– Assemble the cassoulet by adding a mixture of cooked white beans, roasted tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Then, add some of the bean juice and dill to taste. Add charred rapini stems, some Dijon vinaigrette and stir well. Add sea salt and pepper and warm the cassoulet on the stove.
– Season a fillet of halibut on both sides with sea salt. Add grape seed oil to a pan and get it hot. Sear the halibut on one side. When it starts to brown, turn it over and take it off the heat. The fish will finish cooking in the hot pan.
– Top the halibut with arugula butter and put it in the oven just long enough for the butter to wilt– about 20 seconds. Take it out and set aside.
– Add arugula to the warm cassoulet and give it a stir.
Plate with the warm Garden Cassoulet, and place the Halibut on top. Garnish with olive oil and basil.
Serving suggestion: Champagne
1826 Restaurant & Lounge
1826 Collins Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Print the recipe and bring it to 1826 Restaurant & Lounge for a glass of wine or champagne on the house. The offer is good through the end of the month.