Fresh Florida fish is always a treat on any seafood lover’s table. That’s what’s cooking tonight as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Nelson Maldonado
The Restaurant: Orange Blossom on Miami Beach
The Dish: Florida Black Grouper
- 6 oz. Grouper fillet (4 each)
- 3 Tbs. blended oil (olive oil, canola oil)
- 3 Tbs. chopped chives
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Basic Risotto Rice
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup shallots (minced)
- Finished Risotto
- 2 cups cooked Risotto
- 1/4 cup white wine and water (50/50)
- 1/4 cup pearl onions
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup asparagus tips (blanched)
- 1/4 cup baby carrots (blanched)
- 1/4 easter radishes (blanched)
- Chilled Herb Sauce
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup very cold water
- 1 Tsp. lemon zest.
Method of Preparation:
- Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
- Now, make herb sauce. In a pot of boiling salted water, add watercress and Italian Parsley- cook until blanched- about two minutes. Strain it and press the water out.
- Add very cold water to a blender. Add the greens, lemon zest and blend. To thicken the sauce, add Xanthan gum, blend a little more then strain again. Put it in the fridge.
- To cook the fish, heat a blend of olive oil and canola oil. Sear the Grouper skin-side up.
- While that’s cooking, make the risotto. (Make basic risotto ahead of time) Sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil till shallots are soft. Add the Arborio rice and stir for a minute or two. Add wine then vegetable stock and set aside. Later, add white wine and water to a pan, when it boils add cooked risotto, carrots, pearl onions, Easter radishes (or regular) and stir well. When it cooks down add asparagus tips, butter, salt and parmesan cheese. Stir and turn the pan off.
- Back to the fish- turn it over, add butter and baste. Add chopped chives- baste again and it’s finished.
Put the chilled herb sauce on the plate and add the risotto with vegetables. Next, place the Florida Black Grouper on top of the risotto. Top it with sea salt and Mache lettuce.
Serving suggestion: “Keep Your Friends Close” Collins
2000 Collins Ave. #7
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Bring in a printed copy of the recipe to the restaurant and get 10% off your meal, now through the end of June.